PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways to cut workers' pay
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2001, 21:04
Hand Solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK Basil, I'll flatter your ego with a reply. Firstly, I really don't think you should rely on your fathers nostalgia towards his 'easy' 30 year career as a BA F/E. Precisely how many of those years where when BA was a state-owned company? Secondly you claimed to earn £27K gross 'several'years ago. Was that before the south-east property boom? Whats that £27K worth in todays money? Not a bad salary for those days, about equal to the lowest pay scale of the 'blood sucking' CSDs you despise.

As for EVERYBODY being on a lucrative gravy train, I suggest you read some of the other posts on this thread from people who are reaching the legal flight duty limitations. I don't think working to the legal maximum could be described as an easy ride, and many of these people are on salaries lower than they could earn at EasyJet or Ryanair. The reason they don't leave is because they value what is still an excellent pension scheme, roster stability and ,until recently, job security. Despite your distorted view of BA staff, for most people money is NOT everything. You've been outside of BA for a very long time, don't use you're bitter memories of 'the bad old days' to tarnish the reputation of todays staff.

Harry Erman - the vast majority of luxury cars I see in our car parks are driven by the cabin crew. (and usually funded by their divorce settlements before anyone jumps down my throat!!)

[ 13 October 2001: Message edited by: Hand Solo ]