PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Controller / Pilot information crossover
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2012, 07:24
300-600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Controller / Pilot information crossover

When I first started flying we would typically see a controller on the third crew seat a couple of times a year. Invariably good conversations were had in the cruise and all three of us gained something from them. They were often followed by a visit to the tower / radar room which were always useful.Post September 11th I have never had the pleasure of having a controller in the flight deck(even though it is relatively easy to organise).
Have just watched a skybrary video which gives an interesting introduction into general principles of emergency operation on the flightdeck. We are in the process of making more detailed short videos on number of specific emergency situations and would appreciate feedback on a couple of issues.
1. Once completed would these be of interest to you as an individual (or would you suggest I supply it blind to NATS).
Alternatively
2. How much interest would there be in controllers taking the fourth seat in a simulator. Typically sessions would be broken down into 2.5 hour emergency/non precision approch test period and / or a 1.5 hour non normal "training" session focusing on several aircraft system failures.

I believe some airlines do offer this... but I have never met a controller who has been on one (and I have been for a beer or two with many). You could sit in on one or both (only pilots happy with an observer in the "test" environment would be used). Be happy to buy you a coffee but I wouldn't be able to get the airline to pay expenses etc.Look forward to your response.