PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod service entry, MOTU or MOCU?
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2012, 18:26
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Nimrod grey area for me concerns the move of 236 OCU to Kinloss before returning to St Mawgan, and a temporary Nimrod MR.2 Conversion Unit set up late 1970s, early 1980s.
Bit of confusion there I think.

236 OCU was based at RAF St Mawgan until the Nimrod part of the base closed circa 1992? It then moved to RAF Kinloss until it closed on cessation of our long range maritime patrol capability a year or so ago (Cameron take note....you ****)

The Nimrod Conversion Flight (NCF) was based at RAF Kinloss from about 1980 onwards and converted operational Nimrod MR1 crews to the MR2 on a 10 week course. Not quite sure when it ceased operating and when 236 OCU started producing MR2 crews, but I was on the first ever Nimrod MR2 Refresher Course in 1985 along with the incoming Stn Cdrs of both KS & SM.

The course - of course - had to have a GIBEX, so we duly pitched up for our brief, with a well known 1 star (AKA The Silver Fox) coming along for the ride.

As we crowded into the SM briefing room a harrased Ops Officer tried to chuck us out as OC Ops wanted it for a briefing, leading to the AEO screens immortal quote:

"I'll see your Wg Cdr and raise you 2 Gp Capts and an Air Commodore".

Once again...happy days.

PS Well I feel old

Last edited by The Old Fat One; 25th Sep 2012 at 18:27.