PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Increase the odds to become involved in Flight Testing (career advice)
Old 25th Sep 2012, 11:49
FTE Pruner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, if you want to do ETPS or EPNER, then your options are limited, you must join QinetiQ (UK) or Airbus (Toulouse) as an engineer working in a design or trials environment, and then hope that you might get picked to go on the course. Assuming you get a job there, competition for course slots is very tight, and there are far from any guarantees.

The other option (like you say) is to get into a company which allow non-graduate engineers get involved in flight testing. Currently this means not France (because they have licensing for FTEs). So companies like QinetiQ Ltd, Focker, Marshall Aerospace, EADS (spain), Rolls Royce, Sabena, DLR etc. You will have to do it quickly, because EASA flight test licensing will hit all European nations soon, and you will find on-the-job training harder after that point! Ideally, you should try to get a job in a place where they test military aircraft, because you can get on-the-job training on non EASA programmes.

- Taking a flight test course is an option, but it will only help you to get your foot in the door, you would still start at the bottom of the pile (with either of the above routes) – personally I don’t rate them that much I prefer to see good academic background in a less generic engineering discipline (but that is just my own view).

- Going to the US is not going to help you, because you would need to be sponsored to get a work permit, and why would anyone give you a job when you are not trained.

- Doing PPL etc will be very useful, and your CV will stick out when apply for a FT related job – it makes a big difference because it demonstrates you love flying and are willing to invest in it as part of your future.

“Leave this whole FT idea” – only you know how much you want it. The opportunities are out there, but you have to work and fight for them. Waiting another 5 years will make it harder because of FTE licensing!