PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VA Short/Medium haul EBA voted down
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2012, 00:28
Keith Nash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
many of us are becoming increasingly annoyed at how VIPA is pitching it in the aftermath.
Has anyone considered that perhaps the spin in the press is not driven by the unions. I'm no i industrial expert, but why would a union be pushing the comparison with Q. Like most of you, i can't see any benefit in it.

Is it possible that the Company has planted the seed in the mind of the journo's? After all journalists in this country are not known for letting facts get in the way of a good story.

Journalist: Mr O'Hara, do Qantas pilots get paid more than Virgin Pilots?

O'Hara: Yes they do.

Journalist: Are Virgin Pilots satisfied with the Company remuneration offer in the latest EBA?

O'Hara: No they are not.

Newspaper Article: VIPA executive director Simon O'Hara states Virgin Pilots demand to be paid the same as Qantas pilots.

That seems far more likely to me than the unions suggesting pilots want to be paid as much as Q pilots.

Remember the Company has an army of PR spin doctors with the whole playbook on how to get pilots to crucify each other, and lets face it, it isn't that hard to do. Just look how badly we reacted to the seniority list issue. Divide and conquer has never failed to work in our industry in this country.

I think I'll wait until i get some communication from the union on what their position is before i get concerned about what direction they are headed, rather than make assumptions based on press reports.