PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US shuts down EU Carbon Tax for US Airlines
Old 23rd Sep 2012, 17:56
Dannyboy39

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Avitor - A UKIP supporter by any chance? 2 million jobs in the UK would go overnight if we left the EU. And because we told the rest of the Commonwealth to sod off when we joined under Maggie, olive branches may not be forthcoming.

Europe and the US are too different markets. In Europe, aviation is perceived (wrongly) to be the single worst polluter, and the industry in general is tarnished because of it. Continual rises in APD; albeit this tax is just a money making scheme rather than environmentally motivated. My recent plane ticket to the US cost £250 outbound and only $25 inbound in taxes alone!

In the US, there is still deep mistrust and suspicion over climate change. With respect, the American people, in my opinion, don't realise how much damage 4x4s and antiquated aircraft, flying pointless routes are doing to the environment.

The aviation industry must embrace and admit climate change - for the sake of the worldwide industry. Fortunately Boeing, Airbus et al are developing technologies to vastly reduce their carbon footprint as well as investing in alternative energies. One of the few industries that will meet its carbon targets.

In my opinion, the EU ETS was doomed to failure from the beginning, as it just gave non-EU airlines a huge advantage. Doesn't mean regulators should give up completely on something like this - their intentions were good.

Last edited by Dannyboy39; 23rd Sep 2012 at 17:57.