PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Photo ID
Thread: Photo ID
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2012, 14:57
170'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed MBJ...

But for most Europeans (with exceptions of the UK, Ireland, maybe Denmark?) Everyone has a national ID card; and various penalties apply if you don't have it when stopped by a cop and asked for your ID. Everyone carries this ID card so the photo on the licence is not necessary. The voluntary Brit ID card was a bone of contention among the populace and resulted in this:
Identity cards | Home Office

Now I don't like the whole 'Big Brother' scenario more than anyone else, but can't see anything wrong with providing positive ID in the current politico-religious climate.

My own European licence is as big as a phone book with no photo.
(OK, an exaggeration, but it's fricken huge) Whenever I pull it out for a Ramp/Base check, the European mainland ops inspectors laugh at it and need a walk thru. The mainland pilots pull out the single sheet of tear resistant paper neatly folded into a wallet sized 3 fold booklet about as large and thick as a playing card. It has all the needed info neatly displayed...

I stand behind many traditions and rights; (The right to bear arms-The right to carry a conveniently sized FAA Certificate) Okay, that just slipped out
But the photo-less book type licence should have gone out with silk scarves...

Last edited by 170'; 20th Sep 2012 at 15:00.