PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways to cut workers' pay
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2001, 19:12
R308R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

No-one really enjoys the prospect of pay cuts, but what many of the postings suggest is that if these measures are neccessary then they must be done fairly.

I belive that someone in the Leadership team had this great idea that whilst preserving cash, could be presented to the unions in the format that after removing the issue of holiday pay bonus, actually ment that no-one found themselves with less money because they were currently not earning the incremented amount. win win yeah ... I think not...............

Whether it was realised that this idea would save millions every year from now on I do not know, but unless we jump two points after the proposed freeze many employees will be seriously worse off in terms of how much this costs to them over time.

I belive that the only way that paycuts can be imposed fairly is with a blanket percentage rate applied to everybodies basic salary for a specific period of time, or until a specific criteria is met.

My views have received attention by BALPA and thank you kindly for those who have also promulgated the problem with the current idea.

For those you think life is easy in BA, well it may be better than some airlines but it is hard work too. I am personnally in real danger of violating 90h in 28 days and that will also include about 60 sectors!!!

Also we should be thinking about our profession as a whole. Do we really want to take it to the lowest level or should those gritting it out with the toughest conditions and lowest pay be demanding and fighting for improvements?

Safe Flying