PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways to cut workers' pay
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2001, 18:24
pdashley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This figure of 24,000 managerial staff taking a pay cut is misleading as the figure includes a significant number of what were the Admin grades (called A scales, mostly A7's and yes I was one) who changed contracts to APPG (admin performance pay grade, but don't quote me) over the last several years, who are (for the purposes of pay) included in the MG bargaining unit, in that the get a cost of living increase and and a salary uplift, not as such a basic pay rise. These people have been told they they will have a 5% paycut imposed on them on 1st November. Also the figures for managers salaries are misleading in that it all depends where you start and which managers you look at. A new manager who comes through the 'graduate program' can start on as little as £18,000 a year, but if the company recruits a manager from outside the company the going rate may be £50,000 depending on experience and the job role etc. A friend of mine was a manager in the 'e' area of BA an his salary was around £35,000 a year. My point is that you're all right, but it depends what you're looking at. If you look at job sites on the web and look in most industries, the salaries offered vary greatly and depend on knowledge and experience. What BA needs is less 'warm roll' type managers who don't have staff reporting to them and therefore cannot (or at least should not) be able to justify a management grade and salary as these people add little if any value to the company.