PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does BALPA help Wannabes enough?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2003, 13:39
Cricketer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scroggs

Completely agree with your point that it would be better to tackle this within a grouping like BALPA than on your own. However, the crux of the problem lies in what one author has correctly mentioned as the 'blacklisted CV'. How to work on these sort of genuine problems that wannabees face without actually getting the snub by companies.

I appreciate that to a point you would be able to offer a moderated service being cautious about not offending the airlines etc but realistically this would not work as eventually the thin edge would be too much for an unemployed pilot looking for a job. How would BALPA effectively protect an individual working for them without actually negating the work they would do?

I see a couple of solutions - firstly a wannabee being chosen by BALPA to work on these issues and his/her name being kept confidential to all but the BALPA board/equivalent and secondly an employed person, perhaps recently offering to do this job again without their company knowing about it. There must be a few individuals who have recently got their first job who would be willing to dediate some time to this?

There are genuine issues to be dealt with and whilst I see that the remit of BALPA is large, the issues that affect wannabees affect all pilots and the industry.

Taking one issue, like training schools ripping off their customers, I think that is an issue which will hurt all of aviation from putting people off learning to fly to the damaging fallout and links to damaging the commercial reputation of schools/airlines. We must stop seeing these problems as wannabees problems and start seeing them for what they are and that is a blight on the whole industry.

If someone from BALPA or IPA are on the site and would like to contribute anonymously then please add your tuppence as many wannabees join BALPA to receive advice/info. The LOG does seem to cater for soley the long-haul rich captains with villas to buy/sell. Any chance of more cutting edge stories?

I for one would be willing to give some time to helping a wannabees union group.