PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss
Thread: Near miss
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2012, 20:10
On the beach

Location: On a foreign shore trying a new wine diet. So far, I've lost 3days!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be nice if the crew of CPA 8?? could get on here and thank the (expat) controller on AMN (118.2) for pretty much saving their day.

Having worked at both Kai Tak and Chek Lap Kok as an ATCO (now retired) it still amazes me that there is so much flak directed towards Hong Kong ATC when something out of the ordinary happens in the skies surrounding Hong Kong.

It seems to me, that when a crew makes a miscalculation of fuel requirements, based, admittedly, on their available knowledge, and an unusual manoeuvre ensues because of the miscalculation, then Hong Kong ATC end up with the blame for a situation which is outwith their ability to foresee.

It is also a complete shame, to me, that the contributors to this thread seem solely interested in "Company policy" and so called "professionalism" or otherwise of the pilots concerned and trying to shift the blame, whilst completely ignoring the professionalism of the controllers who rescued the situation and the reputation of an airline.

landrecovery "Another ATC breakdown" due to weather, missed approach and CX calling low fuel.[/B]

Okay, perhaps landrecovery you would like to explain to ATC why they had "another" breakdown? What were all the other "breakdowns" and did you report them to the CAD? Should we report you to the CAD if you didn't report them?

TopBunk "OK, I can understand a crew getting into such a situation, especially with the pretty lengthy HKG GA and approach procedures.

Okay, TopBunk if you understand a crew getting into such a situation, why haven't you voiced your concerns to the safety section of Hong Kong CAD, let alone your own company?

Guys, please tell it like it is. You do your airline and your profession no good by all this "blame game" mentality.

It would be nice if the crew of CPA 8?? could get on here and thank the (expat) controller on AMN (118.2) for pretty much saving their day.

I wonder if they ever did?

OTB

P.S. When I worked at CLK a certain airline used to phone every day to say "unofficially" that they would be "on minimum fuel" when they made first contact.

My legal response when that airline first called was to ask "Are you declaring a fuel emergency?" And when the halting answer came, "Er, yes". The follow up question was: "How much fuel do you have?" And the answer was, normally: "Well, we don't have enough fuel for a missed approach".

The moral: Everything you say is taped. Even phone calls.