PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rollason Condor memories
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2003, 12:21
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aaaah! Condor...........

Weyroc? I thought that was a posh name for plasterboard...

Sorry Evra, didn't mean it - a big boy typed 'Evra' on my keyboard and ran off....

Another Anecdote - Good Old Geoff Collins (later got his CPL and flew Falcon Jets for Flight refuelling before deciding that he really wanted to be a lab technician....)

THere we were - 3000ft above Detling when he said - Hmmmm... 'The spin is a bit tame if you do it by the book' (no power/ neutral aileron) - 'lets try one with half power and full outspin aileron.'

Well... It was all a predictable blur. Lots of rotations and a sudden recovery with the nose below the vertical, following a full-forward stick input (as opposed to the standard 'check stick forwards').

My straps were tight but I am a big bloke so my head hit the canopy pretty hard but fortunately no damage - to the canopy anyway...

We were pretty low by this time, maybe just a few hundred feet.

He was strangely quiet and ashen faced.

I said 'I didn't think it was going to come out...'

'Nor did I'.....

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What about the awful twist to lock yellow throttles? Are there any of those still fitted? The Jodel one was a much better arrangement.

I remember flying as a pre-solo student with Brian Webb - last heard of at HeavyLift - Ops Manager

I think I must have twisted the throttle a bit too much because the cable jammed and the throttle wouldn't close below about 1500rpm.

Great fun judging when to pull the mixture! He got it just right.

Fortunately Rochester has a long runway.

HP