PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss
Thread: Near miss
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2012, 02:48
Max Reheat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burger Thing,

How close is Loopdeloop? Very close I think.

Your comments on here must be the reason you don't fly for CX or any other ULH outfit for that matter.

For Long Range flights most companies will plan on the closest alternate possible, providing it is sensible and legal. Merely due to the cost of carrying extra fuel for a more conservative alternate.

Additionally, as you correctly point out, at this time of year in the tropics the weather can be a variable and difficult to forecast beast. For that reason alone, where would you suggest? Because all the possible airfield could be in weather at the moment they are required. That said, if there is a very large cell over HKG, what is the likelyhood of there being one over MFM at the same time? Low, I would suggest.

There are international regulations that cover this type of thing, perhaps you should cast your eye over them before posting on here again.

Additionally, I think you would find it hard to find a CX pilot who has a problem with our fuel policy. We are one of the more conservative and generous outfits when it comes to fuel. Also the Captain has the discretion to add more fuel or to change the filed alternate if he so wishes, even at the expense of offloading payload.

Ask a BA pilot how much contingency he will be given on an HKG-LHR sector. It's a lot less than we get and then we will very often have a recommended extra on top of that. I am reliably informed that BA drop the alternate on many of their ULH flights. I've had to do it once in 17 years.

Before you shoot off about something that you have absolutely no knowledge of engage your brain and STFU!