PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CityHopper F70 @ Turin 30/12
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2003, 09:49
IFTB

Kaffir Lime Leaf Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking the arrogance of a Dutchman??!

As this tread is being hijacked from the request of info on a reported incident at Turin to an analysis of Dutch culture I might as well put my 10 cents worth in.

As a Dutch national, not anymore living in The Netherlands, but who visiting regularly over the last 20 years I am probably and in a better position to give an opinion on the Dutch "arrogance"

""I can't be wrong (because I am a Dutchman)"" or rather: ""I must be right (because I am a Dutchman)" is widespread in the Netherlands.
It is the first reaction of many Dutch people to assume the other person is misguided, the other being Dutch or not is not important. What has cultivated that attitude, education or media opinion I do not know, but irritatiing it is.
Even if you do not understand Dutch, listen to the way many discussions are interspersed with question/exclamation mark type words like
"Hè? Nee zeg! Hoe kan dat nou? Dat meen je toch niet? Ga weg! Dat kan toch niet? Nou zeg! Neee!"
It is in the people and the language to be questioning and asserting opinions.
The real irritating thing is that they think that their country's opinions and actions are centerstage in the world.
You've got to be joking.
But the Dutch people are certain of it and can not be convinced otherwise!

Does the name Pim Fortuyn say anthing to anyone?
Do not say "who?", the Dutch will not believe you!

However,
the British total inward looking attitude (like their attitude towards EU),
the Swiss brain bursting obsession for correct and precise behaviour,
the German agression and blinkered view of life,
the French total disregard of anything not French,
the Belgian.......well, I will leave THAT one alone, and let's not forget the North American total lack of imagination,
any countries GENERAL attitude can be critisised.

Often people can not accept that other (nations) are different from themselves and have to have a go at a particular nation or religion.

A phrase used a lot in the past in The Netherlands:
- Gek? Omdat het anders is? - (- Weird? Because it is different? - )
is still practised there and long may it last. They are open and interested in everthing around them, not many cultures are like that.