PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 407GX
Thread: Bell 407GX
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2011, 19:15
EN48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could you describe the demo flight?
Bell and Eurocopter were conducting demo flights of several types of helicopters from a field behind the convention center. Flight lasted about 30 min with route in vicinity of convention center. Pilot was well versed on G1000H features but not so much on some of the technical details. In order to get a demo flight, one had to do a short (10 minutes) briefing on using the G1000H at the G1000H demonstrator in the Bell exhibit area. If one knows the G500, the G1000 basics are pretty simple.

The issue for IFR is not so much the avionics as it is airframe related features. I am told that the FAA requires redundant hydraulic and electrical systems and a sophisticated autopilot among other things for SPIFR, and that the cost of designing and certifying the FAA required capability would be cost prohibitive in the B407. AFAIK, for these and possibly other reasons there are no light single engine helicopters currently in production which are certified for IFR in the U.S. In the past a handful of 206's and I think 3 407's have been certified possibly through the STC route, but I am told that the FAA would not allow this again. There are others here who will know more about the certification requirements.