PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways to cut workers' pay
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2001, 16:03
Roobarb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Just a few facts for you.

Press Release from BA themselves:

600 senior managers to take 10% pay cut. 600 senior managers equals one senior manager for every 100 members of staff. Each senior manager starts on about £50000 rising to £80000 plus company car, first class staff travel entitlement back dated to date of birth in some cases. Each one therefore is costing the company 100-160k per year in related costs.

Press Release from BA themselves:

24000 management staff taking pay cut That leaves 36000 non-management staff and hence two chiefs for every three indians.

BA fact book on-line:

In the five years since 1996 the company has gone from £640m in profit to a paltry £10m this year which was funded out of £250m of asset sales. Over the five years the profit per 100 employees, hence every senior manager (see above) has fallen from £1.10 to 0.75 p. During that period we have sold approx. £350m of fixed assets. During this period we hired 12000 additional staff who do not appear to have contributed to the bottom line.

During that period £75m was thrown away into ‘Air Russia’, £XXXm was wasted on the tail fiasco (the figure is disputed but I’m sure you all know – the city certainly does). During that period £1bn of loans were negotiated at a fixed repayment rate of 8%. The list goes on, £20000 per year for the pot plant contract etc

I despair. Now they’ve cancelled Christmas and they’re stealing my paltry increment for next year. The Lord Protector must be killing himself laughing. One month ago he was the fall guy brought into face the music over pay, now I swear he must be kissing a signed photo of bin Laden every morning.

If anyone in the city is reading this would you please help us. We have to get rid of these assholes. The gravy train is fast running out of steam and they’re ripping up the furniture to stoke the fire.

I could cry. Maybe we should have left the pot plants in charge for the last 5 years.