PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways to cut workers' pay
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2001, 15:36
ITguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few quotes from this thread...
"Thirdly, The IT people are simply taking the p*ss. But then, on reflection, they do everywhere, so thats not a problem purely at BA!!"

"IM are probably the most ineffective/inefficient department in BA. "
"the dark shadow of system instability bit us firmly on the arse in March when we lost many millions of revenue due to some 'human error' regarding our mainframe back up. Apparently this error was by a contractor, being paid enormous amounts"
"What do we have to show from IM? A miserable March and some nifty E-Commerce."

Well, that makes great reading doesn't it? I've been an interested observer of this forum for a while - it's a great insight into a world which I have no direct contact with. I'm not a pilot, have no desire whatsoever to be one (amazing, eh?) but am fascinated by the area.
One thing I would never do, is to spout forth on the merits of pilots, how to do their job, or whether a CSD is better/more valuable etc etc. So why do people think they know all about IM? Without it there is NO airline, ditto pilots. And exactly how did someone come by the fact that a rich contractor cost the company millions?
Why don't we do a few things - let pilots do what they do best (and deserve high pay for), let IT people do the same, and pull together rather than apart before the industry dies on its feet.