PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Update to Visa Requirements for Flight Training in the USA
Old 14th Jan 2003, 14:15
Footsie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused, I took the advice offered by those above and emailed the US Embassy in London. My question, and their response, appear below.

I take the Embassy's response to mean that if I am to receive training from an instructor, I need an M-1. If I am just hour-building on my own, with no instruction, they strongly recommend a B-2. Entering on the waiver seems way too risky for my money.

Response from US Embassy in London

If you are to receive flight training in the U.S. you will require an F-1, M-1 or J-1 visa. You should contact the flight school which will provide you with either an I-20F or M, or an IAP-66 which is required to apply for the visa.

If you have a private pilots license and you merely wish to build up flight hours, you will require a B-2 visa. While you may be eligible to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program, if otherwise qualified, since the introduction of the Applicability of Aviation and Transportation Security Act, we would recommend that you apply for a B-2 visa. When applying for the visa and entry into the U.S. you should furnish a letter from the flight
school stating the type of aircraft on which you will receive training and the certified take-off weight of the aircraft.

Detailed information on visa application procedures is available from our website at www.usembassy.org.uk

This informal method of responding enables us to respond to you within a shorter time. No record is being made of this correspondence. If you need to email us again, please return this email.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 2:02 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Visa Enquiry

Question: = Do I need an M1 visa to visit a flight school to undertake training to Private Pilot Licence level?

Or can I enter under the visa waiver programme?

I am a British citizen.