PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steps for 737NG typerating ???
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2012, 22:11
pilot.90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code:
Quote:
but i found it so tough. it looks for professional pilots

After completing the typerating course, you will be expected to fly to the standard of a "professional pilot". Better start reading!

1) What to get:
Really though, smartcockpit has some good info. You can also look at www.b737.org.uk. Another good idea is to buy a large size poster of the cockpit panels, so you can reference it when you are reading. Bill Bulfer has also made some good books, google it. However what you really only need is the FCTM and FCOM

Also, I can highly recommend the PMDG 737NG addon to MS Flightsim. Yes, fellow pilots, please do shoot me down for this, but it's seriously the best tool I've used. With the usual disclaimers of the books being the definitive source of information, the PMDG is scaringly accurate both in look and operation. It's expensive, but worth every cent if you use it wisely. It's worthless if all you do is firewall the throttles to fly under bridges.

2) What you can do on your own:
If you already have the books, I would recommend you to start with reading the n.20 chapters of the FCOM (the n.10 chapters talk about cockpit controls and indications and the n.20 chapters are systems descriptions), and then using the .10 chapters, the poster and the .20 chapters to reference the cockpit controls and indications to the actual systems.

Of course, the FCTM has lots of invaluable information. It is more directed at the actual operational aspects, so you need to know the technical ins-and-outs of the aircraft for that manual to make much sense.

Finally, study up on normal procedures and flight profiles (use the OM-B provided by your airline), and non-normal situations using the QRH combined with a cockpit poster and the FCOM to helt cement your systems knowledge.

Now, the Flightsim bit isn't very useful for learning to fly the aircraft, but it's very useful for the following:
-practicing your flows. These take ages to begin with, and you are expected to know them very well. You can position your viewpoint in FS to match the one in the aircraft. This is good beacuse the switches and lights look different from the seat than they do from planview.
-practicing using the FMC. It won't have every feature (such as ACARS and maintenance pages), but fiddling with it is a thousand times more intuitive than reading about it in the FCOM.
-practicing using the different autopilot/FD modes. If you haven't flown a complex autopilot/autothrottle system before, it helps if you can learn how to "play the Boeing piano" at your own pace, without any pressure.

3) What you can do with your coursemates:
The last and final step is the time-proven "paper tiger", or slightly more advanced armchair flying. If you have access to a FTD or mockup, that is the best, but even two chairs and a mate will do wonders. If feels silly at first, but trust me, it will give you soooo much back when the heat is on in the sim.

Lastly, if this is your first typerating, get into the midset that you really need to know what's going on, technically and procedurally, before the first sim. This isn't a C172 anymore, and there isn't really a lot of time to practice, drill or repeat. There won't be much in way of explanation in the sim, you are expected to know your stuff before you enter the box. It's not difficult as long as you put in the effort beforehand. Good luck!
I bought the panel already its really help to know the panel location when following the procedure according to manual and QRH instead of looking where is it .

Also I got the PMDG but I'm still not familiar with FMC inputs and the FCOM doesn't have much explanation about it.

But I will keep the study up to get more knowledge until I start my course .

Thanks again captain.