PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways to cut workers' pay
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2001, 13:23
Jase Neale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Totally agree with Mr Solo. A friend in the Big Smoke told me that their analysts were warning BA 3-4 weeks before the disaster of Sep 11th that the s*** was gonna hit the fan unless they did something about it. BA then started to refuse their calls. Now look what has happened! I remember a couple of years ago a cartoon that depicted BA and Virgin in a 'boat race'. BA boat had 6 cox's and 2 oarsmen. Virgin crew had 1 cox and 7 oarsmen. BA was always losing the race. Big management meeting ensued and they were sure they had the answer.....Another cox needed, sack an oarsman and tell the other one to row harder!!!
Unfortunely I feel that we are going down this route yet again. Scrapping the 'holiday entitlement' and putting a pay freeze is going to drive workforce morale to an all time low. I don't mind accepting this action if you first address the problem of mangement over staffing of this dinosaur of a company. Flight ops is one of the only departments that sticks to budget and will be under budget next year! How many other departments will manage that? I hope BALPA will agree and fight for us. If not they are going to be one member short next year!