PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steps for 737NG typerating ???
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2012, 17:13
Northbeach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
737-800 type rating with 200 total hours of experience.

Researching your activity here on PPRuNe it appears you are a citizen of Oman, have approximately 200 hours and a Canadian Commercial pilot's license perhaps a frozen ATPl as well. You are looking for a Boeing 737-800 type rating.

The -800 you are about to try and type on is likely 100 X as heavy and perhaps 3 to 4 times as fast as anything you have flown. I am assuming you have no jet time.

That is a huge jump to make from flying unpressurized piston singles and light twins to the 737-800 NG. It is possible. I am assuming you will be paying for the type rating, in that case then the person/institution selling you the type rating will be glad to charge you for the time. It took me a decade or more and numerous jobs to make that same professional transition.

You will need to understand (not just memorized) the limitations section of the -800 manual. Then there are the various systems. You are going to need to understand the profiles (what configuration the airplane is in and what the normal airspeed and power settings are to achieve those configurations); normal takeoff, climb, cruise, various approaches (precision, non-precision, LNAV VNAV, RNP) and low visibility (CAT II, III(a)). Then there are all the abnormals; V1-cuts, aborts, single engine work, pressurization problems and flight control failures.

The FMC (Flight Management Computer) is going to be HUGE mystery, if you have had no experience with FMCs before. Unfortunately it will be necessary to develop some level of comfort using the FMC, it can't be ignored, but coming from a zero or very limited FMS/FMC background it will be a steep learning curve.

It can be done, but it will be a colossal amount of work. The books will be good enough for the limitations and systems and the Microsoft programs and sims for the FMC.

Last edited by Northbeach; 10th Sep 2012 at 17:39.