PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA Pilot perception
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2012, 09:34
Globalstream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I said, I have tried to keep an open mind and I understand that there may be individuals who have the self discipline and drive to operate their aircraft to a higher standard. However, after many years in the corporate world, my experiences both with the individuals I have mentioned and many others I had no input in hiring, have largely been negative. I shouldn't have to discuss the advantages of sticking with SOPs, the AFM, the MEL, duty periods, mass and balance etc, etc, but i have had to over and over again.

Part of the problem is the woeful standard of corporate jet training. This is not a criticism of many good SFI/TREs, but rather poorly organized, firehose initials and incoherent recurrents. There have been many of the latter, in my experience, that degenerate into story telling and beside the stick time in the sim ( which is invaluable) no substantial learning or review has taken place.

Manufacturer's SOPs and basic training does not address many of the operational demands (eg. an absence of ground power for non-APU aircraft, a captain greeting pax and rescheduling briefings, fast flows and checklists) that are faced by corporate pilots. Rather than writing SOPs to deal with those kinds of issues, many crews want to rush and skip crucial procedures.