PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Harvards
Thread: Flying Harvards
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2003, 07:06
FNG
Not so N, but still FG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Thread That Would Not Die, 2....

but, seeing as it's come back, happy new year Tiger Moth and please update us on your commendable efforts to acquire a PPL on a DH 82. I didn't do any Tiger Moth flying at all last year, but might try to get back into it this year. It's not that I particularly like the aircraft, but I find it spiritually improving in a sort of cold shower, 5 am cross country run sort of way.

As for the comment above re WW2 training, I recall various pilot memoirs mentioning spending time on Harvards en route to front line aircraft, albeit later in the war, and sometines in Canada. I think that only the Brits and Canadians called it a Harvard. Didn't the Americans call their versions Texans? The memoirs also reveal that apart from the desperate times in 1940 (when the two dads mentioned above may have made their transitions) the training hours flown by many of the pilots before they got to squadrons were a bit higher than is generally thought. The system seems to have worked to its own peculiar logic in the deployment of what would now be called its human resources.

For example, Pierre Clostermann, a fully qualified pilot when France fell, was made to do lots of training and wait until 1942 before being let lose on the enemy. Last year I flew with a wonderful man who qualified as a pilot very early in the war but didn't get to the sharp end until early in 1944 (he more than made up for the long wait by flying well over 100 Typoon ops thereafter, collecting a DFC on the way).