PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAAC medical centers and initial conversion process
Old 7th Sep 2012, 13:07
WYOMINGPILOT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heading to China the end of this month for my first time medical-ATPL etc screening and have some questions for all you experienced Chinese expats.

Any info on which of the centers is the best one to have your initial medical check? Rumour is that the Shanghai center is the most time consuming and strict one. Should I avoid it if I can choose to go to Shenzhen lets say? You don't have a choice. The region which governs your particular airline you are interviewing with will arrange everything for you, Shanghai is the same as all Regions, ie they are ALL VERY STRICT.

Is there any progress with their medical, westernizing a bit the whole process, or should I expect a repetition of the regular horror stories posted in this forum? No chance at any input on the process whatsoever. Monkey see, monkey do if you want to pass just comply. It is a complicated medical but after extra tests and additional testing most guys do pass. Most failues are heart problems ie EKG, blood pressure or blood work, urine sample problems ie sugar levels or kidney stones. If you can pass a first class medical and you have decent BP and height/weight ratio most guys from the west pass. The follow on medicals are not much easier and most Ex Pats sweat them evrey 6 months. A long term job security in China does NOT exist. The cash is great and the work is fairly decent but you are constantly being evaluated through medicals, sim checks, line checks, and QAR data.

Also, I have a minor scar from a (minimally invasive) varicose vain surgery in my low(lower than waist) abdomen.
Should I even mention it? Do they ask you to strip down completely to check for scars or just down to your underwear? I hate to go through tons of paperwork and tests for nothing, so I prefer to avoid even saying anything if they won't notice. Yes mention it as a full body strip down search is conducted. If you have tattoos it is viewed VERY unfavorable. It will be noticed.

How long does it usually takes for their background checks(is it only CAA authentication they request) and working visa procedures after you get the job? Background checks usually take about 1 month and the criminal background check will also take about 2-3 weeks. Airlines vary widely with the minimum being aout 3 months until line checked and the maximum about 1 year. Training pay is generally less than full line checked pay.
Can I provide any papers directly so as to speed things up? Stay on top of the process and don't assume anything or wait very long without following up on things. Many pilots have wasted months just waiting when the HR depts. were waiting on documents from the pilots. Be very proactive during the admin. newhire process or you will be waiting a long time without accomplishing anything. Overall China is a good gig and the pay is great and some fairly good commuting contracts out there. Long term though there is very little job security here. It is like running the gauntlet. Eventyually they will topple you so always have a Plan B.