PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - dr 400 160
Thread: dr 400 160
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2012, 12:17
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They're great. I fly them a lot. The -160 will leap off the ground with four adults and 110 liters (main tank) fuel.

Depending on the exact variant, you may just have a 110 liter main tank in the fuselage, or the version that adds two 40-liter aux tanks in the wing roots. This will give you a bladder-bursting 6 hours endurance at relatively normal cruise speeds. But if you do have the version with the aux tanks, take a good look at the fuel selector: BACKWARDS is main, while FORWARD is off. Not a very ergonomic design.

View is great, cockpit is logically laid out. Most versions have a NVFR setup, but there are IFR models as well.

One disadvantage I find on long flights is that the seats are not very comfy if you're tall. (I'm 1.86.) The seats don't just slide backwards, but tilt backwards a bit as well. A bit too much at its most rearward position, in my opinion.

Another thing to watch out for is that the nosewheel has a center lock, so that it is aligned with the fuselage in-flight. It requires a certain amount of weight on the nosewheel before it unlocks. With a rear CofG and a really smooth landing, you may not put enough weight on the nosewheel to unlock, which means you have no directional control whatsoever. Just pump the brakes briefly and you're sorted.