PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FI's looking for work.
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2012, 21:33
BuzzMurdock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone,

I finally got my CPL this summer & was planning to do my FI next spring; thought it would be the best way to break into the industry (albeit tough) & start out. I wasn't really too fussed to dive straight into the off-shore side, despite lucrative pay etc and can't afford the IR anyway...... however......... EVERYONE I've spoken with (off-shore guys & on-shore freelance FI) have said "IR IR IR. Do the IR"... "we're aaaaall dooooooooooomed"... the only people flogging the FI are the FTOs who want my money.

It's so bleak I almost want to self-harm. Seriously though, if FI work is non-existent, yet on the other hand CHC (as the current example) are looking for 500hrs for a co-pilot role and "Type Ratied on a heavy helicopter for example Super Puma L2/S92 " (though no mention of the IR in the ad... interesting)... WTF?!?!?! Will someone please enlighten me as to how the hell a wannabee gets into this industry? I've had my eyes-wide-open from day one... but all this doom & gloom is getting the better of me; is FI really no longer the way to go? Is the only hope the IR route? Please tell me this isn't the case?!??!