PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying a light aircraft
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2012, 08:51
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sharpend, go used. Let someone else take the massive depreciation associated with a new aircraft.
My thoughts exactly. After you've flown it for an hour, it's not new any more. Things like instrumentation can be easily changed for the latest spec., given the amount of money being saved on the original purchase.

Given a reasonable amount of TLC and sympathetic maintenance, well-designed airframes have an almost indefinite life. If the design hasn't changed significantly in the last 5-10-20 years, what's the point of new vs. refurbed original?

I suppose you get that "new car feeling" when you pick it up but the downside is the first scratch or bit of oil on the upholstery is stupidly annoying: that happens pretty quickly with an aeroplane!

If you really want new, why not combine forces with another like-minded pilot on a similar budget and get something like this. Looks the business!

Otherwise, I'd agree with what A&C is saying - you have to go a long way to beat a zero-houred DR400 with custom avionics and it'll be well within budget, leaving plenty over for fuel, insurance, etc.