PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying a light aircraft
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2012, 08:26
Dan the weegie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A and C you're right. Nonetheless he did specify new and in a Robin that's 150k + VAT from what I read in the Mistral website.

I do wonder why people buy light singles with Glass Avionics though, a reasonable GPS takes all pain out of Nav and a proper IFR fit will get you in the airspace you want to be in. One wonders how I fly the international flights each week without even a moving map Glass engine instruments are good though, they take alot of the misreading errors away and do highlight issues better than traditional ones.

I certainly don't aspire to an RV7 though, it's a marvellous machine but it's not the plane for me, it is just the one that fits most of what Sharpend wants well within the budget and has the added benefit of being a permit aircraft which allows for significant additional maintenance cost benefit and the flexibility to change avionics as you see fit and the work can be done by a paid engineer if you wish, not necessarily by yourself . Most importantly to me though is that due to the number of RVs being bought round the world that spares will be easy to source for a very long time and also the resale value remains high because it's an in demand aircraft. So I'm only banging the drum because it makes sense in my world .

Sharpend, that is correct an RV7 cannot be bought new, but as I've already said there is nothing brand new out there that ticks all of your boxes, (glass panel notwithstanding ). Your options are either to change what you want to do or to accept an aircraft that is nearly new and kit built or about 8 or so years old and refit the avionics that you require.

There are builders out there who will build a kit for you, it's against the principles of the LAA and they tend to frown on that kind of thing, the rules are set to make it more difficult but it happens quite frequently anyway.

Last edited by Dan the weegie; 6th Sep 2012 at 08:29.