PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying a light aircraft
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2012, 08:28
AN2 Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know that everyone will advocate his particular ride and I don't want to bore you, but your mission profile is pretty much what I do too (2 not too light folks, 500-600 NM, baggage)

I do know that flying at 19 lph e.t.c sounds sexy and is a great calculation thing, but in the end, if you want to travel, it's one factor of many.

What I do owning a plane is that I treat it as a separate entity financially and I do pay my hours (to myself on a separate account) as if I was renting. That way, I am getting a price per hour (total outlay / total hours per year) which I can calculate with.

Looking at the figures, what I find is that a slower airplane which uses less fuel can be a lot more expensive than a faster one which doesn't use a lot more, particularly in terms of travel. If you travel with your plane, as you indicate, you'll end up paying less with a 150 kts plane which upfront has a much higher hour price than an Aquila or a Tecnam, which will take a lot more time to get there. Equally, looking at what you have been flying before, it will seem like forever getting where you want to go at 100 kts, seeing that you've flown a Cirrus.

I own a Mooney M20C. It will do 150 kts at 40 liters per hour, 140 @ 34 lph and 120 @ 27, fly comfortably around 550-600 NM and is very good in terms of maintenance due to the fact that it's got the manual gear and flaps.

With your budget, I'd look at a M20J. You'll get 160 kts @ 40 lph or 130 @ 27-30 lph, plenty of space and a range of around 700 NM, due to the fact that it's got 64 USG usable rather than my 52.

There are lots around these days which are way below your budget and which will fit the portfolio just fine. Mooneys don't have a problem with grass (I've been to and fly regularly into 500 m grass fields with mine). They are fast, economical and are ideal for a travel for 2 and lots of bags. I've flown mine on a 2000 NM trip last year with 2 people and 80 kgs of baggage plus full fuel.

PlaneCheck Aircraft for Sale - New planes and price reductions

is one example for instance, almost new engine and full IFR. They do start lower however, e.g. this one.

PlaneCheck Aircraft for Sale - New planes and price reductions

which seems to have been run throug someting like a "pimp my plane" shop but has older but good avionics (no GPS) and no altitude hold at the AP.

Any questions, I'll be glad to answer to the best of my knowledge.