PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What radar service do you require?
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2012, 08:02
Trim Stab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where does that state the level of service being provided? I suspect some ATCOs outside the UK may use it as a shorthand for the level of service, but I believe this to be incorrect.
Outside of UK these different levels of radar service do not exist (well as far as I know anyway, flying mostly in Europe and Africa).

In Europe, if a controller says "radar contact" then the implication is that you are positively controlled. Why bother installing a radar if you are not going to use it to control aircraft? If they do not have radar contact they will tell you (implying that you are responsible for your own separation). Often they will also specifically tell you that you are responsible for your own separation until radar contact can be established. Nice and simple!

Hence it was quite odd to me to be flying in UK with radar coverage and be offered a "choice" of different services. As I said earlier, I would want the a service that prevents me crashing into other planes - why would I want anything less?

Last edited by Trim Stab; 5th Sep 2012 at 08:04.