PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Troops Gunned Down by US Army Apache NEARLY 3 YEARS AGO!!
Old 4th Sep 2012, 15:10
just another jocky

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not sure what the point of the OP was, whether good or malicious but name calling etc doesn't help in any debate.

Fact is, the US provides the overwhelming amount of CAS through the various ops over the years so they will likely have a higher incidence of blue-on-blue.

OTOH, I will never forget the Boss of an A-10 squadron standing up at a CAS meet in the Red Flag theatre at Nellis and saying he would be happy if his guys opened fire with only 70% certainty that they were on target (and this wasn't a Flagex). So my own personal anecdotal evidence does suggest that either US RoE is much less restrictive than the UK (I know it is) or that there are more "gung-ho" (for want of a better phrase) crews in the US forces. Again, in Afghanistan, I listened in on 2 x A-10 taking our TiC (we were about 5 mins out) and they went weapons hot immediately and did not appear to follow any of the procedures we had to. I'm not saying they were wrong btw, just bloody quick to open up and didn't ask any questions of the FAC to confirm whether this was the right course of action.

I don't know the details of the OP's linked story, but it would be very interesting to listen to the tapes.