PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying a light aircraft
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2012, 10:57
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LAAs can't fly abroad, well not without hassle, except where there are reciprocals.

That's why I asked about the mission profile.

Going abroad (easily) is a huge massive plus in making and keeping flying interesting in the long term.

TB20, plenty around to buy, very fast, parts can be pricey and a pain to get but for touring, my belief is that there is nothing more comfortable. You wont get mogas in it Also fairly thirsty but again, speed provides the economy.
I wasn't going to mention the TB20 because the OP's original list suggested he was looking totally elsewhere, but that's not actually true about parts or economy. It is common pilot forum stuff though....

Parts are as pricey as all certified-aircraft parts, but are easy to get. And very few parts have to come from the airframe manufacturer (ask anybody with a Commander etc etc).

In long range cruise I get 140kt TAS at FL100, burning about 9.5USG/hr (36 litres/hr).

At low level, say 3000ft and not particular after economy, I burn 11.3USG/hr for 138kt IAS.

Unbeatable for touring, in the SEP class, while retaining the ability to do local hacking. Loads of planes are better for long range touring (PA46 comes to mind, if you watch the engine "rather carefully" ) but are no good for local UK hacking around. And, yeah, you could pick up a PA46 for £130k, too, with, ahem, a few, ahem, outstanding ADs.... there is a "bit" of a learning curve in the ownership game.

The 1300nm+ range is fantastic. It makes even trips around Greece (I am off there shortly) doable; the customs/avgas matrix in Italy and Greece etc would be a logistical nightmare (for a non perpetually retired pilot) in a plane whose range is actually 500nm. In fact 500nm is no good except for local hacking around the southern UK, by the time you factor in decent reserves to a weather diversion (diverting from Shoreham to Goodwood or vice versa doesn't really cut the mustard and diverting from Shoreham to Lydd only begins to cut the mustard if you can actually, never mind legally, fly the ILS).

That's why I asked about the mission profile

£130k might just maybe get you a nice 2002 TB20GT; one of the last ones made like mine

I have a friend with an RV4 which is probably about 28 litres AVGAS an hour but I get 75 kts and he gets 160kts
He actually gets 160kt (IAS or TAS?) at 28 litres/hr?

Last edited by peterh337; 4th Sep 2012 at 11:04.