PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - unprofessional flying
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2012, 16:55
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was doing the NPPL 5+yrs ago I was required to navigate to Burnside from Fife. This I did via Freuchie.
After a few PFL etc I was then told "OK return to Fife" The instructor indicated "that way" which would have put us right over Portmoak.
I pointed this out & she said "Its just there, we can fly past it."
I elected to fly via Strathmiglo Freuchie etc & mentioned the extent of the activity at Portmoak, This was met with a disinterested " OK, whatever" kind of attitude.
Another instructor pointed out at that time that "They don't own the bloody airspace, they don't have an ATZ, it's class G, we have as much right there as they do".
Another occasion I was receiving post PPL spin training. Overhead a point between Balado, West Lomond, Kinross. 5000ft we spun the thing several times, then entered cloud for exercise several times. I felt this was a bit of two fingers up to Portmoak. & would have felt happier overhead Schiehallion doing spins.
If this is the way Instructors behave no wonder the rest of aviation ignores the big G & pictures of parachutes.
Things may well have changed since & perhaps my experiences were isolated, who knows.
My opinion as an ex glider pilot is they should be classified as D, R or P areas.

Piperboy, Iwas up there about 3PM, too windy for me, so washed flies off it & went home.

Last edited by Crash one; 3rd Sep 2012 at 17:01.