PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - unprofessional flying
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2012, 16:52
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While we are on the sunbject of Dundee ATC, I was out flying on Sunday and have a question regarding the correct transition procedure (and no it was not my flying that initiated the OP too start this thread).

I was flying from Forfar to Kingsmuir (Fife) via Monikie reservoir between the restricted area of Barry Buddon to my left and Broughty castle to the right over the mouth of the Tay and along the shoreline passed Leuchers and over St Andrews. On the way there and about 5 miles before passing the castle I called Leuchars for a transition which was approved, as I approached the castle knowing that that is the main VRP point and basically a funnel for Dundee traffic from the north and west I asked Leuchars to go off frequency ( this is still prior to entering their matz) for a second to give Dundee a heads up I was crossing what is essentially their “approach path” (although not entering there airspace) then returned to Leuchars prior to entering the MATZ , all this went fine.

Upon the return leg I received a MATZ transition and immediately upon existing the MATZ about mid channel across the Tay I asked Leuchars for a frequency change for the purpose of advising Dundee that I would be passing back over through the busy VRP Broughty castle area to which the Dundee tower advised me to “stay with Luechars”. Which I thought was a strange one.

My question is as follows, do military controllers and civilian ATC work seamlessly and do hand offs and exchange traffic info? Should I have treated the Leuchars MATZ transition much the same way I do a basic vfr “flight following” type service from Scottish Information on routes that do not involve MATZ transitions assuming basically that my service continues even after i have left the MATZ? Would the Leuchars controller have advised Dundee that I was skirting their airspace and this would explain why Dundee felt that there was no need to talk to them and requested me to “stay with Leuchars? even though I was out of the MATZ