PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Theory on lift
Thread: Theory on lift
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2012, 17:32
roulishollandais

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Pugillistic Animus,

I am glad to tell about fractals also known as Theory of chaos.

This excellent and cheap book (1987) tells many things about fractals and mekanik of fluids.

Chaos: Making a new science by James Gleick (1987)
The first popular science book to tackle the emerging field of chaos theory, journalist James Gleick’s Chaos earned the author a Pulitzer prize. Not only did the book bring this complex physics to the public, says our features editor Ben Crystall, “It helped kick-start the subject into a host of other fields”.

This book exists also in French pocket version and new edition is from 2008. (editions Flammarion, 10€ !)

Originally Posted by Pugillistic Animmus
I didn't say you were wrong or anything just that I am unfamiliar with fractals as a part of conventional aerodynamics, as I've never seen such a treatment before within the subject...
Why is the conventional aerodynamics still ignorant of fractals ? You know, for a long time a divorce existed between mathematicians and physicians. Physicians wrote some equations, writing integrations of not continuous functions for example, doing mathematicians angry. But math had other goals, like topology, math for computers, and was late to help physicians. Something changed really in the middle of the 20.century with "fractals".

With fractal geometry and theory, sundely physicians were behind, they were struggling with automation and theory of systems, and mathematicians had advantage. In reality we need to work together... but it is not enough to say that !

Things changed when fractals brought new solutions for non-linear dynamic system, new thinking.

As always in science it needs still 15 years or more to update technology.

Discussing C* about AF447, I discovered that derivating don't go higher than 2. (position, speed, acceleration). Why not tendance of acceleration, for instance ? Every thing needs TIME !

I have seen you are very active in the climate change debate. The meteorologist Edward Lorentz has been a great pionnier of climate prevision and discovering the meteorologic part of fractals...

Read Gleick ! You will get good surprises !