PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways to cut workers' pay
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2001, 12:44
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not work for BA but am very pro-them. I really want them to succeed and do well as it has a knock-on effect for all of us. I have just finished a conversion at Cranebank run by BA and it was superb - faultless. However, there was vast overmanning in the groundschool and several layers of management. The 'CSD problem' must be addressed. These people are simply earning too much money (like more than twice what they should do). I am sorry if that offends people but everyone knows its true. The pilots get too many perks and there are way, way too many managers. Before you all go berserk, remember these are relative terms. The question you have to ask yourself is what do everyone else pay their staff, and how many are there? By way of example my last company paid cabin crew £10,000 per year and paid the senior cabin crew £11,000 per year. They all flew 4 sector days, 5 or 6 days a week. The pilots were not much better off but were limited by CAA regulations. The simple fact is that other companies pay considerably less to their staff, have considerably less of them and work them considerably harder. That is the competition that you are up against. I hope the events with Swiss Air, Sabena, etc have removed any lingering doubt about the divine right to exist of national carriers. I truly wish you every success guys, but if you do not wake up very soon and take drastic action at every level then there will be no British Airways. Act now while you still can.