PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circuit Join
Thread: Circuit Join
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2003, 22:00
Kingy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of points here:

I would not think about visiting a known parachute drop zone without telephoning in advance to check if they are active. Most para/mixed use sites are PPR for this very reason...

There is nothing wrong with straight in approaches in the right circumstances. I would listen in on the A/G frequency for a while and try to build a picture of activity before making my decision based on situational awareness. Then call'em up and listen to what the A/G operator says, but ultimately it’s your decision.

If you decide on a 'straight in' clearly announce your intentions and make regular updates including perhaps:
'G-xxxx 4miles south, R/W 36 for a straight in approach'
'G-xxxx 2mile final R/W 36'
After passing 800ft agl call final again.

The thing to keep in mind is the other circuit traffic will be looking at the airfield (i.e. not in your direction) and to make matters worse a low wing AC turning from base to final will have their wing block any view they might have of you anyway, so keep a good lookout and 'see and avoid'

If the straight in were not on, I would join overhead. If that was not on... I'd probably go out to the West and join crosswind.

I don't like the idea of joining base as, unless you went way out to the east before turning in you run a risk of meeting someone in the circuit coming the other way! People often don’t look out to see if anyone has joined on base before turning downwind to base, so it can be just as fraught as a straight in.

All IMHO

Hope this helps

Kingy

Last edited by Kingy; 12th Jan 2003 at 01:19.