PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Theory on lift
Thread: Theory on lift
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2012, 04:43
bubbers44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JT, my first instrument class was at a junior college and was a total waste of time, had to go back to the books. I know things are different now but this was in the 60's. Usually the ground school teacher reads the book and repeats it soon after the best he can.

My roomate when I was flying a Jetstar was teaching ground school in a high school and I told him he was teaching it wrong. He passed the private pilot written exam but didn't understand what he was teaching. His students would have been much better off reading the manual than listening to him.

I went to Flight Safety in Teterbero in the 70's and he was explaining how to use reversers on a Falcon 20. He said pull the TR levers back then advance the throttles. My Mexican students were going into the sim that night and I said just pull the thrust levers back, don't advance the throttles. They both said no, he said push the thrust levers forward. I just said see you in the morning. Of course the next morning I asked did you push the thrust lever up and they sheepishly said no.

Sometimes reading the manual is the best thing if your instructor is weak.