PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR Bimbling Chart Requirements
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 09:34
Pontius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VFR Bimbling Chart Requirements

Before I immediately get flamed (a)I have used the search function and (b)I have searched CARs and the AIP to try and find a definitive answer to my question but I'm still left wanting

Let's say I want to go out for a bimble around the skies, remaining outside of all controlled airspace for the entire flight on a nice, sunny, cloud-free day. I'm VFR throughout.

Now, I think I'd be okay just carrying a relevant VNC but a mate of mine insists that I'd need all the other charts available i.e ERC, WAC, VNC & VTC. Reading the rules, I've 'selected' the VNC from the AIP's list (Gen 0.1, 9.1) and, as far as I'm concerned that's 'applicable' to the flight I'm carrying out (CAR 233). Why would I want to carry all that other gumph when it's not relevant to my flight, where I know where I am, I'm clear of any regulated airspace and I'm just looking out the window all the time?

My 'day' job involves boring holes in the sky, IFR, so I'd like to get things right, just in case Mr CASA turns up and has a hissy fit because he thinks I'm doing something naughty.

So, leaving aside opinions such as "This is what I carry because it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling", is anybody able to offer a definitive answer to my question; what charts am I legally required to carry? References in addition to mine would be appreciated.

Thank you

AIP GEN 0.1
9. RELEVANT DOCUMENTS AND CHARTS
9.1 To ensure compliance with CAR 233.(1)(h), a pilot in command must have access during flight to appropriate documents and charts selected from the following:
a. VFR: ERC,WAC,VNC,VTC and ERSA for the route being flown.
CAR233
(h)the latest editions of the aeronautical maps, charts and other aeronautical information and instructions, published in AIP or by a person approved in writing, that are applicable:

(i)to the route to be flown; and
(ii)to any alternative route that may be flown on that flight;