PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go - Arounds?
Thread: Go - Arounds?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2003, 08:31
ITCZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Hat,

YMML is on the money. Take a peek at the performance charts in the flight manual. Don't go by what 'tips' you may get here unless you verify them for yourself, some of the information will be knee jerk stuff dragged out as "I remember when"

Not that I have ever done that

Why not work out the worst case and come up with a few rules of thumb that cover most of your ops, and warn you when it is time to refer to the book.

Eg.

"Eleven at Thirty Five or Less." In the Top End in a particular light twin, I knew that a charter to a hard surface runway of 1100m or better at OAT of 35c or less with no obstacles in the overshoot would meet requirements. If the temp was higher, or the TODA/TORA was less, it was time to refer to the P charts.

Why not go to the chart for your type, pick the hottest OAT for your area of operation, then make a note of the climb weight limit?

Too hard? Or "I am in the bush"? Then imagine this scenario

(background, smoking C210)

Chief Pilot: "So Bill, how come it didn't go up when you went around?"

Bill chooses his answer:

(a) "Dunno, it was chockers, boss, and I did combine two jobs to get $600 per hour."

(b) "I used this rule of thumb that I got off Pprune from some guy I never met. I never checked it, but he was a bit of a legend by the way he talked."

(c) "Boss, it ran up ok this morning, it hasn't missed a beat all day, I flew it like the book says and I was about 50 kg under the climb weight limit."

Whenever I think that maybe something is too hard to look up or work out for myself, I just imagine myself in the witness box trying to explain why not to a $2000 a day barrister hired by the aircraft insurance company

Looking back at your post, maybe I can be helpful as well as lecture

First, read up on the limits from the flight manual.

Then, look up the technique. How much flap, when to retract it.

The main issue is that you want to be under control, and fly away from the ground and any obstacles in your path. Minimize sink, maximise climb GRADIENT over rate if there are obstacles in your way.

(Flying instructors jump in right here for technique)

Make sure you know the speeds for the conditions, including the weights.

Speaking of speeds, remember that Speed is a result of Power plus Attitude. Heard that before?! So know the Attitude that gives you the Performance. Power will be Maximum, of course.

In C210's and C402's I was told to rotate to 7 to 8 degrees nose up after takeoff and in a go around. In Metros and in my current ride it is 10-12 degrees initially. This was the ballpark attitude. Make sure you have Max Power and adjust the attitude to give you the speed that gives you the rate.

Know the drills, Mixture Up Pitch Up Power Up, Pirtch to the go round attitude, positive rate gear up or whatever your ops manual/operators handbook says.

Practice it. Practice it again. Practice it until I could ask you the correct actions when you are p!ssed and you will still get it right, like all your emergency actions.

Now for the war story.

Tennant Creek, 4.30 am, dark, overcast, light drizzle, a mild night. Rain getting a little heavier, very pleased with self that I dropped off the papers and refuelled before the rain came in. About 200kg of newspapers for Alice, full tanks in my C210, well under max TOW, start up and taxi out to RW25. Review safety brief, take another look out the window, rain a little heavier but steady, wind steady at 15 knots from the west, has swung a little. Checks done, off we go.

Power is good, airborne, gear up, just about to turn left to intercept track, then the rain on the windshield starts hammering! Hey, at 100 knots IAS I am going DOWN!!

Self refers to checklist on which I had written Vy and Vx for heavy and moderate loads. Self decides to fly Vx!! Rain is really hammering now, and the ride is getting rough. Self then pushes throttle into the instrument panel and checks gear up, prop fine, mixture rich. VSI staggering between 200 fpm up and down. Self recalls that self is about 300 agl at last look and below the LSALT, MSA and pretty soon outside the circling area if not already. Self thinks 'this is a stupid job.' Made a turn west, away from the high ground. After a heart stopping VSI indication of 500 fpm down, the needle reverses and I shoot up like a cork from a bottle and the rain on the windshield goes quiet.

Looking back on it, I have to say that I wasn't as sharp on my technique as I could have been. I never practiced go arounds, I probably only did them on base checks, I never thought of the fact that the opposite direction of my departure runway had a VASIS and was therefore surveyed out to 5 nm, I never thought of putting the CDI on the runway heading to make use of the no obstacles area off TNK RW35. I never thought of noting the location of obstacles as VOR radials marking no-go areas.

So I survived on pure @rse with a good dollop of fear induced emergency actions. Thank chr!st I had written down the best angle speed and had it right under my nose.

Flight Service had my taxi call, but not my departure. It was all over before ten minutes was up. And nobody would have known where to look for me -- single com on CTAF and too bloody busy to dial up another freq! I could have been anywhere within a twenty mile radius of a remote town on a rainy night.

It was a stupid job

I'm sure that others will say -- you should have done this, you should have done that. Some will say I should'nt have been there in a single engine aircraft. But that would be missing the point-- it was all engines operating and giving a better RoC than a heavily loaded C402 or Baron. And I know that there were better ways to prepare and carry out the situation - now!!

Anyway, thats one for Mr Hat. Be ready, it could happen to you tomorrow.

Last edited by ITCZ; 10th Jan 2003 at 09:41.