PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LAA Coaching scheme
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2012, 20:50
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am on an experience par with Genghis - but because 'I don't own, or part-own, an LAA type' I am not eligible to be a coach.
So why do you want to be a coach? The coaching scheme is a service to LAA members by LAA members. A lot of permit aircraft are outside of the ordinary and as such require familiarity with permit types. This invariably comes from being involved in the ownership or operation of a permit type.

All LAA coaches are Instructors and as they are operating within the LAA RTF are approved as revalidation examiners. Many of us are also industry instructors and examiners who give our time to the coaching scheme to benefit other LAA members.

As the requirement is for LAA coaches to have a thousand hours and be an Instructor they can hardly be described as inexperienced can they?

The LAA is an organisation that exists to support its membership, providing training by individuals experienced in the permit arena is a natural extension to this. It is not just some avenue for an Instructor to make a few quid or fly something interesting just because they might think they are qualified. It is not a closed shop, just one that requires membership and participation in the organisation.