PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oban/Glenforsa News
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2012, 18:55
10W

PPRuNe Bashaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a GA user, what have the Council ever done for us ? Spent a whole load of money on things which most of us don't want or need, and played a big part in scaring away paying customers. Not necessarily the people who work at the airport itself, but the lords and masters in their comfortable junket laden offices.

PK may be like Marmite, you love him or hate him, but he certainly knew how to run a good GA airfield and put in place an atmosphere where people felt welcome and wanted to go, without all the bureaucratic jobsworth and health and safety nonsense which is a curse on today's UK society.

It is perfectly feasible to run small scale commercial operations alongside a healthy and active GA operation. I am sure the pilots flying the Islanders don't need to be treated like they were flying in and out of Heathrow with 'separation' from the GA aircraft also using the airfield, which is what is going on at the moment - even although the ground radio operators have no jurisdiction for anything in the air.

I still visit Oban, because I love the scenery, the airspace, and the facilities I can find there. I pop in to see PK for the Jammy Dodgers and fuel. I happily pay my landing fee with no malice to the airport staff. But I always come away thinking about the overkill, the waste of public money, and the politicos who obviously live in cloud cuckoo land.