PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 152 crash at Sussex
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2012, 18:00
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is why I want my PPL students to immediately go around if they feel the nosewheel touch before the mains. For any low time pilot a nosewheel first hit means you have seriously got this landing wrong, the safest thing is to just go to full power, and come around for another go. If everyone did this I bet their would be a lot fewer aircraft with bent nosewheels and wrinkled firewalls.
The reason pilots do this is once they are down they think they are down and try to stop!
The Seneca is a lovely aircraft to land! Flat land it or worse land on the nosewheel and you will get the famous Seneca porpoise or wheelbarrow and she is a cow to land.
The aircraft starts to bounce around the nosewheel, has a mind of its own and the bounces intensify to the point that the nosewheel will collapse.

I was in such an aircraft right seating a pilot who did just that into Lydd and became an unwilling passenger with no knowledge or skills on how to stop it.

Going around while an excellent way out of the situation does not teach you to deal with the situation. Dealing with the situation is important.

Applying power and pulling back into a rotation position will stop the bounces and place the aircraft in the correct situation to resettle onto the runway.

Ok minimal runway and you cannot afford to be fiddling around with runway length vanishing but on a half decent runway there is no need to go around.
There is a need to understand and to be able to handle the aircraft.

How not to get in that situation in the first place?

A lot is poor trimming so pilots come in nose heavy, do not flare properly and as such arrive flat or on the nose wheel.

Trim the aircraft correctly on final! Coming into very short final add more trim so there is a slight forward pressure required to maintain the glide.
Do not be a passenger to your aircraft fly it and there is no need to land flat or on the nose or to go around

Last edited by Pace; 16th Aug 2012 at 18:03.