PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Owning and flying N reg in Australia
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2012, 14:20
HighFlyer75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks for all the responses so far. I read the Private Flying thread quite regularly so I was vaguely aware of some of the considerations from the European point of view. The biggest additional impact in Europe seems to be the dual-licencing that may be enforced with EASA (which sounds like a complete pain to me). Other than that it seems like most of the main considerations would be the same regardless of whether it's Europe or Australia;

- Need to purchase the N reg aircraft through a trust as I am not a US citizen
- Most likely need to import the plane as is doesn't seem like there are very many in Australia at the moment
- Require an FCC radio licence (I already have this)
- Need to find an A&P mechanic with IA
- Need to find someone authorised to perform FAA flight reviews

However, from what I have read so far it doesn't seem like owning N reg is a very common thing in Australia (certainly not compared to Europe). I will do a little bit more investigation but at this stage it is certainly looking like the best solution would be to immediately look at going through the conversion process. I actually have both a JAR/EASA PPL and an FAA CPL so I could look to convert the PPL in the short term and then do the CPL at a later stage (as my assumption would be that the CPL conversion is likely to take longer).

Thanks again for the replies. I will post any additional information that I find as I investigate further.

Cheers,
HF

Last edited by HighFlyer75; 16th Aug 2012 at 16:39.