PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 152 crash at Sussex
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2012, 02:48
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Ellsworth
When I flew in England it never ceased to amaze me how many pilots wreck airplanes by landing on the nose wheel.
Not a particularly helpful remark IMO. I would be surprised if UK PPL`s were any worse or for that matter any better than North American pilots.

Nose wheel first landings are almost always a result of excessively high approach speeds. For the C 152 anything more then 60 kts across the fence is too fast.

If you are a low houred PPL and don`t want this to ever happen to you then I would suggest you pay attention to two things

1) Never push forward on the yoke in the flare. If the aircraft balloons during the landing flare hold the landing attitude and wait for it to settle back towards the runway. If it feels like the bottom is going to drop out apply full power and go around.

2) If you ever touch nosewheel first immediately go around. These kinds of accidents almost never happen on the first time you have a nose wheel first touch down it is the second (or third) hit that does the damage.