PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Late clearance as you steam towards controlled airspace...
Old 14th Aug 2012, 21:33
Standard Noise
StandupfortheUlstermen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple, as jc2065 said, you orbit and remain clear until the ATCO gives you a crossing clearance.

Then I chug towards the boundary, with no indication from the controller as to whether he/she plans to clear me or not.

Now I know the controller can't give me a firm answer until I'm there, but some sort of Brings me to a wider point regarding transits. Often enough, I've requested a transit in plenty of time, and I'm usually just told "Traffic service, squawk 1234, QNH 1021". Then I chug towards the boundary, with no indication from the controller as to whether he/she plans to clear me or not. Clearance is usually given at the last possible moment, but if it isn't going to be given then it'd be nice to know a little earlier so that there is time to climb/descend or so that the route-around isn't so convoluted.

Now I know the controller can't give me a firm answer until I'm there, but some sort of "should be ok, will let you know as you approach the boundary" would make things much easier.

And why no handover? Surely when passing from one adjoining block of CAS to another which necessitates a change of controller, this could/should be coordinated. Farnborough knew my route..., will let you know as you approach the boundary" would make things much easier.

And why no handover? Surely when passing from one adjoining block of CAS to another which necessitates a change of controller, this could/should be coordinated. Farnborough knew my route...
On the first part, he/she may be co-ordinating with a colleague beside them who controls the airspace and IFR traffic therein but is spending their time getting you the crossing clearance as soon as they can so as not to disrupt your requested route.

Secondly, 'should be ok' - why would he say that, if the CAS is under the control of another ATCO, nothing is guaranteed. Just stay OCAS and if you're close to the boundary then get ready to orbit until you get the crossing clearance.

Thirdly, this isn't uncommon, many units don't have the time to make or take calls for details to be passed about transit traffic. If you were that close to Solent's zone then that call may well have just elongated the process and you'd have ended up orbiting outside Solent's airspace anyway, or matbe Farnborough tried but Solent were too busy to answer the phone. It does happen.