PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If I had to go low level, I'd choose a....
Old 9th Jan 2003, 01:46
Swingwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No doubt the F15E is the duck's guts these days, but I can't believe that there isn't more support here for the mighty F-111 AardVark!
This is an aircraft that was dropping bridges in North Vietnam when the current crop of plastic fantastics were a gleam in the designer's eye! Throw in Operation El Dorado Canyon (the Libya strike), Desert Storm and so on, aand then consider that nearly 40 years later, in it's present manifestation with the RAAF, it is still delivering the latest PGM's with the same pinpoint accuracy.
As far as low level performance goes, it is just about without peer as far as I can see. I haven't been privileged to fly in Beagles or Vulcans et al, but an F-111 is quite capable of Mach 1.2 (750KIAS +) on the deck, with the fuel to sustain it for a realistic time. Do it in cloud on TFR if necessary, armed with GBU24 and AIM 9, and it would have to be hard to beat, in the comfort stakes if nothing else! They don't call her the Cadillac of the skies for nothing - it's like sitting in your armchair at home. That's only one end of the performance spectrum though. Consider that the same aircraft will also do Mach 2.5 at 60 000 feet and you get some idea of the awesome performance of the beast. Hornet and Viper drivers will criticise it for it's turn rate, sure, but at 6.5g in full blower, you're still talking about a pretty respectable number of degrees per second.

So, taking into account it's sheer longevity, the fact that in many performance departments it still equals or beats today's platforms, and it's proven combat record, I respectfully submit the mighty F-111 as the finest interdictor of the jet age.

Cheers,

Swingwing