PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Depression within the Profession
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2012, 23:03
tail wheel

Received 231 Likes on 123 Posts
I have never suffered from anxiety or depression and in medical qualifications, I struggle to apply a BandAid, but I do not believe this to be totally correct:

With the (often unreasonable) amount of oversight we suffer, particularly by non-operation office staff with no idea about the realities of our job and the downward trend in the desirability of the job of a pilot, it would be surprising if depression were not an issue.

Hands up who struggles to pay the bills. Hands up if your an airline pilot and cannot provide the life you want for your family.
Whilst those factors may understandably cause occasional anxiety and depression in normal people, I think the depression being discussed here is a disorder perhaps termed chronic clinical depression, the result of a psychiatric disorder rather than caused by external influences?

Clinical depression does affect pilots. I am aware of at least two fatal instances the result of depression, the 1997 Silk Air crash in Indonesia probably being one such instance.

It is a very serious condition and those who suffer from clinical depression are encouraged to contact organisations such as Beyond Blue.