PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Depression within the Profession
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2012, 21:10
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
I do not think that Teresa's comments are at all out of place. Having grown up in a similar age when men were men and barmaids ate their young, it does seem that we are only too quick to label every emotional problem with depression. Medicos are quick to put "depressed" teenagers on Valium etc. When a good old kick in the bum is probably all that is needed to sort out some of their attitude.
Teresa is not denying the existence of the condition. I have seen it up close so I do not deny it either. But the distinction between finding a situation depressing and being depressed should be made. I have worked in downright depressing conditions for depressing employers but it did not cause me to fall into a depressive state. A pissed off state, yes. A state that had me reaching for the red red wine, yes.
Back in Teres's day (and my early days) it was common for the crew to be up drinking until midnight, stagger off for whatever sleep we could snatch in the heat under the mosquito nets and report for duty 5 hours later. Totally not acceptable today, but we survived.
Times have indeed changed. Much more pressure from BigBrother to be compliant. How depressing.