PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Depression within the Profession
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2012, 09:56
Boney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Depression within the Profession

I see the "suspicion of being under the influence" thread has been locked, understandble, as it has run it's course.

After being a pprune member for 14 yrs, this is only the 3rd post I have started so I expect this one to disappear like a fart in a strong wind just like the other 2?

Let me first say in regards to current case before the great media in this country (dominated by Murdoch, the phone hacker legend!?) must be considered a case of innocent until proven otherwise.

Either way, I believe a major issue that is not acknowledged or admitted in this industry is depression. This is very often a latent or major factor in all types of substance abuse.

One would have to assume that pilots do suffer the same rates of depression as everyone else in modern society. I believe the industry is in denial and always has been.

That must mean every day there could be about 100 moderately and 20 severely depressed airline pilots signing on in the crew room, making sure they are wearing the same smile we see on the posters!?.

Please discuss only the "depression denial" this industry suffers from so my post can survive till dawn.